Saturday, September 09, 2006

Class 203 Lives On


Today is Saturday, after midnight, and I reflect on Friday, September 8th, the last day of the 8th and final session of Class 203.

As Dennis has stated now and again:
"There shall never be another Class 203."

I am home now. The wind stirs the fir trees and the crickets seem to chirp in unison. A mile or less distant, a Union Pacific locomotive sounds its horn -- long, long, short, long -- on its way up through Dutch Flat towards Alta. I can hear the horn sounding and rebounding off the various canyon walls. I am sitting on the second floor of my cabin typing this post on my HP Pavilion zd8000 laptop through a 53.6 kbps modem because that's all there is.

Somehow I don't feel slighted. I never do. I feel blessed -- on any number of levels.

I shared today with many people. You know most of them or you wouldn't be reading this blog. They are great and wonderful people. Mostly because they are linked with law enforcement.




We try so hard to hold ourselves on level ground with so many other jobs and professions. But I'll be the first to admit it here (as if we didn't already intuit this): there is no other such job. We are not sanitation workers; we are not politicians, doctors or lawyers. Thank God we are not lawyers.

We became as one and coalesced early as I indicated in the first post.

JC, Scott and Steve offered wonderful speechifications.

And then it was done.

As though those 8 months had passed in but a moment.

Plaintive train horns still cry in the night, and it is now almost 1 AM.

__________________________________

Dennis said:

"There will never be another Class 203."

That is absolutely correct.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home